Thursday 17 October 2013

Studio Brief 3: Matthew - Fonts


I have asked him more questions than were on the sheet so I can get to know more of his personality, in the less obvious senses. From having simple chats with Matthew I have discovered that he is very jokey and his sense of humour is a large part of his personality.
Because of this I want to pick a font that isn't formal, and reflects his lack of seriousness. However he says that he is quite cynical and pessimistic, so I don't want to manipulate a font that is too wacky or jokey, as there is more personality traits than that.
Looking through the font folio, the following fonts caught my eye:
Arial Rounded MT Bold

Gill Sans
Gill Sans bold

Cooper Black

I'm not sure which to use out of these yet, as I think they are all quite reflective of Matthew's personality without giving too much away (meaning I can manipulate them and do this myself).
However, I definitely prefer the bold version of Gill Sans over the regular version, as it has more to work with, I feel like the regular is too plain and lacks any characteristics.
All three fonts that I am trying to choose between are relatively bold, which I think reflects masculinity and possibly pessimism, which is connotated with Matthew's personality. The simple anatomy of the letters reflects Matthew's simple likes and dislikes and his comfort zone.
The soft edges of Arial Rounded MT Bold and Cooper Black are more suited to Matthew as he is a friendly character, and he isn't very serious in his mannerisms and has been described as quite childlike. If I picked Gill Sans bold I would want to soften the edges of the letters.



No comments:

Post a Comment