Tuesday 29 October 2013

Design Principles: task 3

  • There are different families of typefaces. Faces of the same typeface can look very different but still be part of the same family. They divide into Regular, Bold, Italic, Light - with the addition of ultra/extra to them.
- X-height is the height of lowercase letters, when descenders and ascenders are excluded.
- Cap height is the height of a capital letter.
- Baseline position is the line on which all characters sit.

- The standard font size is 12 points = 1 pica, and 1 point = 0.3527mm. Point size is the measurement of the cap height to where the descender ends.

- Fonts are made up of glyphs, which includes numbers, punctuation marks, and different kinds of symbols.

- Typefaces are font families, and have one or more fonts which each share the same design features. Regular, bold, italic, and light are common fonts within a family.

- There are four categories when it comes to classifying fonts:

  • Roman: slim fonts that contain serifs
  • Block: chunky fonts with wide lettering
  • Script: have a brush stroke effect
  • Gothic: simple and sans serif


Task set: choose 6 fonts, one for each process that we have learnt about in the last session. Bring in 'a, b, c, x, y, z, A, B, C, X, Y, Z'.

I chose:
Stone: Century

Silicone: Braggadocio

Lead: Droid Sans


Wood: Abadi MT

Bone: Zapfino

Sable: Brush Script MT Italic


From these five we had to choose one of them to alter by either cutting away or adding things to the letterforms. I chose the Abadi typeface, which is a wood typeface. I slimmed down the letters using a scalpel.


I found this task quite hard to make creative as I'm very new to typography. I don't think that the letterforms are consistent as a set, but I have learned from this.
We were then set the task of creating regular, bold, light and italic of our adapted font:


I found it difficult to keep the letterforms matching when creating the bold and light, but I think I did an alright job. I don't think I made the italic slanted enough; I wasn't sure about how to go about creating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment