Thursday 5 December 2013

Studio Brief 1: Final designs


I gave my designs an off white colour to numb the overall brightness, and to make the actual 'frame' the centre of attention. I picked the typeface Ostrich Sans for the words and Basic Title Font for the measurements; the numbers in Ostrich Sans didn't work as well as Basic Title Font, but still kept in synch because they are very similar typefaces.
I picked these fonts because they are modern and have a feeling of youth about them; my target audience is young people. They are both sans serif, which definitely appeals to a young audience more than serif fonts, which can be viewed as old fashioned and too traditional.
The background I have used is a line drawing I created from a photograph of my own. This is inspired by cliche, typical photoframes, but I've taken a less cheesy and more simple take on that by stripping the photo and simplifying it. I made sure all of the paint strokes were similar in colour and size but were all unique; I've never seen designs using an artistic approach such as this before.
I think that these designs are successful in creating a simplistic yet creative approach to this brief. If I was given more time to work on it, I would create 3 completely different line images to make it more interesting, or given them more personality. However, I don't think that a deep ironic or thought-provoking concept is needed for photo frames. Personally designs like that wouldn't particularly draw me to buy the frame, because it is about how the frame itself will look in a home, after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment