Thursday 23 January 2014

Studio Brief 4: Final Promotional Posters








Typefaces:
  • Helvetica neue regular - used this for the smaller text, because its perfectly legible. It also doesn't distract from the design overall, or the main heading font. It is unnoticeable as a typeface.
  • Cooper black regular - I used this as the heading font in brief 3, so I wanted to carry it through. It is retro feeling and friendly, and I used it in capitals to jump out at the viewer. It has character rather than helvetica, which for an eye catching heading, doesn't work as effectively.
Rewritten brief:
I think it has reached the points I made in the brief, and has effectively promoted an exhibition based on album artwork. The three posters work together as a set which is something I was very conscious of while designing them.

Record cover/CD/iPod:
I wanted to create a subtle timeline with the posters which mirrors the exhibition itself (a timeline of album artwork). It shows the decline of audio formats, from vinyl to digital. This effect would probably affect the older generation rather than the younger ones. It also helps to adhere to different ages, seeing as my age range is quite large (16-60). A lot of 16 year olds will know much more about an iPod than vinyl so they can relate to it, and a lot of 60 year olds will be the same with vinyl.

I was inspired by various art exhibition posters, and Ross Gunter's posters, which are very minimal but work with colour very closely. The text is always very small on them and they are pretty eye catching.

For printing, I chose a white textured stock rather than the regular printer paper. This is because it comes out a much better quality, which you would expect from promotional posters. After printing, I realised that I could have screen printed these designs, which would probably look a lot better. I might experiment with these designs in the future, or atleast learn to push the boat out a bit more with production methods.
I am happy with my designs, but if I had more time I would have liked to create a range of exhibition tickets or booklets to add to it more and make the overall finished products more appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment