Thursday 21 May 2015

Women in Film // Stock and binding

After my first illustrations before I changed them and worked on them further, I printed out some rough examples on coloured paper as I was thinking of using it to brighten up the zine, rather than printing colour which is more expensive.


I also wanted to test out the composition, and this was partly what made me want to change the illustrations and abolish the hand rendered letters as it was looking too messy. Multi-coloured paper does look bright and inviting, but I found that it detracted a little too much from the info and images.

I have moved on to wanting to use light grey paper, as it adds an interesting element but isn't distracting.


After making definite decisions on content and illustrations, I printed out some pages on normal printer paper to figure out the composition and test it out. I found that the text needed to be moved to the right a little and the illustration to the left.


I printed the front cover on silver GF Smith stock, using the normal studio printer (to fit in with the zine low budget). It surprisingly came out perfectly on the second try.



I would have loved to have done binding with thread but I ran out of time, so I stapled the booklet.
When folding it I made a crease in the paper, and the staple missed the fold, which affected the presentation of the zine. However, as these are supposed to be sold at a low price, things like this aren't too big of a deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment