Saturday 9 May 2015

Covered // Developing ideas

I started with some thumbnail sketches to generate ideas.


I tried to create different types of type layout to mix it up, and also use a brain to reflect how the subject matter goes on in your brain.
I also thought of using clouds to signify dreams and the haziness of memories.
None of these ideas really inspire me, except using clouds which I could try out with a photograph in photoshop. However only 2 colours can be used so I would have to work around that.


  • starry night - dreams
  • water reflection - reflections
  • clouds - dreams and memories
  • brain/mind
  • photograph - memories



I did some quite unclear sketches here, including a moon which could simply signify dreams and the mind. This could work quite well.

Another idea I thought of but didn't sketch is star constellations like so:


The way the stars are joined together is an effective lateral representation of connecting thoughts and memories together, as well as dreams. Anything that goes on in the mind is connecting ideas together, or figuring out what dreams or thoughts mean.


I took to photoshop to try out some of these ideas properly. I'm focusing on very simple ideas as for this brief I do not have much time to complete it.



 I've let go of the cloud idea, as I would like to use marble paper (as seen on the left) with simple vector imagery on top. Also, I do not have any photos of my own that are really clear of clouds that would work well.





I've chosen to stick with Baskerville bold italic for the type, to give a slight retro feel of old psychology books. I also think that the spaced out letters in italic gives a thoughtful and dream-like feel, as it's kind of like the type is reflecting on itself.

As I am using two colours, I want to use black for simplicity and a bright colour that pops out and brightens the design, such as a pinky-red in the form of small imagery. This also modernises the design against the old-fashioned style type.



I tried out the letters in lowercase, but they don't stand out as much and seem crammed together too tightly on the cover.

I created a constellation in illustrator, again using the pink colour to make it pop.  Against the stock, I like the dreaminess of it.



 I'm having trouble with the placement of the constellation over the text.  It's quite unusual and interesting when they overlap, but it kind of upsets the harmony of the typography.




I have made the text smaller and moved it to the right so that it does not interfere with the constellation. This puts more emphasis on the imagery, rather than the text.

I asked Alex for some feedback, and he said he preferred the smaller text. He also said that he preferred the design on silver stock (as mocked up below).



I like the marble stock as it is dreamlike and signifies clouds, however the silver paper is bolder and doesn't distract from the constellation. It also reflects the light, which is appropriate for 'reflections' in the book.
I have played round with the composition a little further, which has been quite difficult to decide on -



The background colour is a mockup of the silver stock I have used.

I used part of the constellation on the blurb to make the design consistent. I added the text content from my own copy of the book, and added a barcode and small purchase details.


I feel like I rushed this brief a little, as I normally spend a lot longer going back and forth between ideas. This is because I am feeling the pressure of the other large brief. Maybe it is for the better that I have worked faster, as I normally take a little too long.



For the exhibition I have printed on GF Smith silver stock, as seen in the exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment