Wednesday 30 April 2014

OUGD406 Evaluation


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
 Module Code 
OUGD406               


 Module Title
Design Practice


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME

Sophie McDonald


1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
Despite being intimidated by Illustrator, in this module I have pushed myself to use it over Photoshop which I am more used to. In doing this I have realised when going back to use Photoshop that Illustrator is a lot more useful and graphics friendly. I have learnt how to use certain features of the program and I can now work much faster on it.
By using screenprinting for the first time, I now feel a lot more confident in that area and I understand how it works and how to use it to my advantage.
I have done some double sided printing, which can be tricky and confusing but now I know how to tackle it and make sure it is successful.
I made a book(belly) band for my designs for brief 4, which is a small thing but I had never considered them before. I also created a concertina leaflet for the first time,  which was a success after hard work to put it together.












2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
For one of my briefs I had to create a two-colour screen print. I now feel a lot more confident in that area and I understand how it works and how to use it to my advantage. My development process was affected in that I had to design it with only two colours and couldn’t use photographs unless using two tone.
We used the digital print room for the brief 2, which was good practice as I’ve only used it once before that.
I printed onto coloured stock for the first time, which meant when designing I was only designing in one colour – black. I didn’t want to print colour onto colour as it completely changes how it looks when printed.













3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I use colour quite a lot and use them appropriately; I feel in this module the colours every time have been vibrant and quite interesting. None of my work has been dull.
I felt I really delivered well in the viral brief, where I took charge of the social media for Selftea which made it go viral. I realised I am good at communicating on that platform with enthusiasm and know techniques for exposure.


















4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
I lack confidence in my work, which can be a struggle when I have to present my work or when I need feedback. However, I really have seen improvements in my confidence in this module since the previous modules.
I let myself down in terms of time management, but again I am working on it and slowly but surely getting better at it by making mistakes (which I think are quite vital for my growth).
I am intimidated by experimenting with different printing methods which I am really desperate to overcome in the next module.











5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
Experiment more with printing/production methods – I can be more creative and can gain vital experience.
Manage my time more effectively so that I can improve my working methods and also the quality of my work.











6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



x

Punctuality




x
Motivation



x

Commitment



x

Quantity of work produced



x

Quality of work produced



x

Contribution to the group


x


The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment