Monday 24 March 2014

Studio Brief 3: Poster development and finished design

Following on from the interim crit, I have decided to develop the briefcase poster. I was told to use a closed briefcase because of how in the film it never opens, but I tried this and aesthetically it ruined the poster. Regardless, I still think an open briefcase is relevant.

Below is my development and different variations.









  • I experimented a lot with the colour of the poster, because while blue, red or black are widely used and appropriate for American action films I wanted to try out lots of different colours. I ended up using turqoise and black, as black is bold and striking, and turquoise shows up a lot in the film (which I wrote about on my DC blog). I think its a good idea to keep to similar colours as the film, because that way you are connecting to it on a visual level.
  • I brought in the crack from my other idea, so that the poster would have more levels to it. I think it looks great and I like the concept of corruption behind it, as that is a key element of the movie. It definitely makes the briefcase imagery more exciting as it goes straight through it.
  • I found that using alternate colours on each side of the crack was quite cool looking but a bit too contrasting and imbalanced. 
  • I introduced a white border around it, which I think breaks it up well; the turquoise is better in a smaller amount. It also puts more focus on the actor's names at the bottom; they are qutite important to the poster as the film is awful and they will draw people to watch it more than anything else.
  • I kept the original hand rendered typeface for the film title because I think it was very successful; from my own opinion and others. I made it slightly italic because I saw on many action movie posters (particularly my film's original ones) that the text is bold, italic and in CAPS as if its moving. I tried to recreate that in my own way, with a scruffy hand drawn effect (which I think is normally a lot more effective than a boring sans serif font that has been seen thousands of times before).


Final design which I will turn into two positives for screen printing


No comments:

Post a Comment