Thursday 18 December 2014

Responsive // Feathr: wallpaper development



I have started off by doodling on a piece of paper to ignite ideas. I have drawn whatever comes into my head, while trying to think in terms of continuous designs. It has taken me awhile to come up with something that I like.
Themes I have touched on:

  • geometric continuous shapes
  • skyline
  • faces and profiles
  • leaves and plants
  • cat eyes
  • birds
  • spirals
From these sketches, I've taken the plants and faces and drawn them with more detail in illustrator, still trying to come up with ideas.



I like the flowers and leaves, but I'm not really inspired by them to create a pattern. I want to create something that isn't usually seen in wallpaper.


The faces I have drawn are very simplistic and eery, I feel they have a unique and artistic touch to them. I've tried two different layouts, when facing each other it signifies two people communicating in some way; I like the context this could bring. When laying them other each other as seen on the right, it creates an interesting shape. However as a wallpaper this may seem unclear from a certain distance.



I made the background black to make an unusual wallpaper, with blue scribbles for an artistic aesthetic. I don't like how the colours look together, so this hasn't been successful. Black is quite dark for a wallpaper, realistically it is not sought after and would make a room very dull.










I tried using lighter colours that would be easy on the eyes in a home setting. These work a lot better but they seem quite boring to me; they don't stand out enough.


This is another experiment I did with colour, which is too bright and clashy.


I have decided to pick some colours that are a mixture of bright and neutral, so I've made a stripe pattern of 4 colours. However they are quite clashy being as bold as they are, so I've lowered the transparency levels to make them blend a little better together as a pattern:




No comments:

Post a Comment