Monday 15 December 2014

Responsive // Feathr

Feathr Brief

I have chosen to design a wallpaper pattern for the Feathr competition.
"We want you to lift wallpaper out of the decoration ghetto and turn it into art. Decoration matches the carpet. Art blows minds."
Reward
Artist Accelerator Fund: $5000 cash
5% royalties, based on net revenue, paid on a monthly basis.

Why did I choose this brief?
There is a freedom to design anything, which fuels creativity and excitement. There are no strict guidelines and I enjoy creating simple imagery and working with colours.
I think I have the potential to come up with a unique idea and have a shot at winning.

Audience
Young home owners who are earning a decent wage
People interested in art and design
Stylish people who are passionate about vibrant interior

Key aspects to remember
Wallpaper shouldn't be too loud or use too many different colours - it is filling a whole wall where there is already furniture and other objects.
When designing, I need to take into account how the wall will look from different distances, and if it will affect how the pattern looks, for example small faces will not be seen from the other side of the room and might look messy.



How will you balance what you want to do, design or produce with what the client requires?
I will make my design seamless, as it needs to be repeated as wallpaper and still work as a pattern. This means that the design will have a limit to its width, which will need to be taken into account when coming up with ideas.
I will review my work as I go along to check if it is suitable for wallpaper, eg colour overload or sizing of details.

Does the brief offer enough breadth and scope for the development of a range of responses while at the same time allowing you to focus your practice?
There is a lot of freedom with this brief, which can sometimes make it difficult to start off as I work better with more guidance. However, I can think about what is and isn't appropriate for interior design and the target audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment