Saturday 15 February 2014

Studio Brief 1: Flamingo design



For my flamingo design I started off by painting a bird from various photographs I found on the internet. I then scanned in my chosen painting and cleaned up the legs a little bit.





I added realistic looking feet onto the flamingos legs by tracing images and using parts of the legs to fill in the colour.


I then cleaned up the edges of the bird to make it neater.

My design for the interim crit:


I altered the colours for the design to make the flamingo more pink than orange, and I added a black border around the edge.



Development after interim crit

From the crit I learnt that a lot of flamingos have been submitted so far to Secret 7", so I need to work on making my flamingo unique which it isn't at the moment (see above).
Below is some experimentation I did when trying to figure out the composition. I have thought of making a pattern from the flamingos.











Above are some extra paintings I did, that I haven't worked on much. I like the simplicity but I wasn't sure I could make them stand out so I haven't developed them.


This is my final design. I have added the eye in the corner which is taken from my eye pattern design, because I like the flamingo pattern but it needed another feature. The eye is fitting because it adds a small glimpse of the glamour I was trying to portray with my eye designs. It also works as my signature or trademark as I often draw eyes similar to this.
I decided to duplicate the flamingo in further reference to the lyric "Just like flamingos look the same"; they all look identical and there are many of them.
I have struggled with making the flamingo unique to me, but I feel this design is bold and bright and speaks for Roxy Music well. I am hoping that the Secret 7" judges agree.

I think if I had more time to work on it, I would develop the other flamingo paintings, to see what I could do with them. I think that this design could be a bit much for some people as the flamingos are very bright and the pattern could be seen as quite cluttered.

No comments:

Post a Comment