Sunday 7 February 2016

Secret 7" // Final design & evaluation



This design is an entry for the song 'The Less I Know the Better' by Tame Impala. It has been influenced by the music video, which is full of basketballs - both the protagonist and his enemy, Trevor, are basketball players. The colour scheme has also been influenced by the video, in which mostly red, blue, yellow and pink are used. The solar system I have created through embroidery is to portray the impact Trevor has on him; his world is revolving around how Trevor has ran off with his girl and it's being paraded infront of him.
The medium of embroidery has been used to make my work stand out amongst the thousands of digital submissions. Physical submissions are bound to excite more, as it can be touched and felt. I also wanted to try and experiment with a new technique of designing.









With double-sided tape I attached the embroidered material to a plain Secret 7" sleeve that I picked up from a record shop. I realised that I hadn't designed anything for the back of the sleeve, and it was an opportunity hard to pass up. I used Posca paint pens to create an abstract pattern in the colours of the front design.




For Triptych I have created these poster versions, which add more to this brief. In the real world, they could be used to advertise the song's music video, or just be sold alongside the record sleeve design.

Evaluation

Overall, I am relatively satisfied with the outcome, but I think it could have been better. The edges of the sleeve are quite scruffy, and looking at the finished piece it seems that the basketballs could have been bigger to make more of an impact.

I am happy with the colour scheme, except that the material's black background doesn't look as neat and presentable as I would have liked. I also had to lightly paint over the white thread to make it more of a grey, as it was too bright.

If I was doing this project again, I would choose different material as what I used was very tightly woven, making it hard for the needles to be pushed through. Also, using a material that was the appropriate colour of the background would be more effective, so I would avoid having to colour it in - which resulted in a colour that wasn't as strong.

The project took a long time to complete - I spent many hours just embroidering, and it was very time consuming. I am not certain that the time put into it was worth the outcome. It was a valuable lesson in which I learnt the timespan of using a needle and thread

The posters create an alternative output, as they are digitally rendered and printed.

No comments:

Post a Comment