Saturday 7 November 2015

LCA Christmas card // development

From what I previously scanned in, I have arranged the illustrations with some of the typography in photoshop. 


I have cleaned up the drawings, such as making the lines neater and I replaced the christmas pudding with another better drawing.
In terms of colour, I have made the text red as it is a colour commonly known as festive. It's a deep red, which is quite warm and cosy, which is appropriate to create a mood of festivity.



For the background colour, I immediately tried shades of green, as it is very commonly paired with red in the context of Christmas. However, I really don't think it is effective - it looks too harsh and bright, and also very stereotypically festive - which it doesn't need to be and maybe that would be off-putting to look at.


Blue seems to work better, as it is quite muted, so the red type stands out more. More attention can be paid to the illustrations.


Next, online I found a textured effect which I added to the design, which gives it a warmer, less digital feel. This also made me think that it could be printed on coloured paper that would have a similar effect in its rough aesthetic.



I made the festive objects white so that the illustrations are clearer - now it is easier to see what exactly is happening. It also makes the design a little brighter, as the illustrations in all black seemed very dull.


I tried out some of the other type I created to see how it would look. Its a little too messy and childish looking. The other type is more exciting and friendly as the capital letters make more of an impact.



I added snowflakes, as there seemed to be some empty space. The white dots add even more of a festive feel, but subtly.


No comments:

Post a Comment